Tuesday 21 January 2014

Have the Reds fallen short in racism row?

Ex Reds striker, Stan Collymore
I've read with great disappointment this morning the reported reaction from Liverpool Football Club
to the racist Tweets aimed at former player Stan Collymore. The question for me, is not whether racism can be removed from football, because I believe there is a long way to go. My question is: Could the club have done more?

The answer for me in short is: Yes, and let me tell you why? If I were walking along the street and saw somebody attack you, weather this was physically, emotionally or other, then I could go to the police and make a complaint. I's my right, some would argue, duty, to do so. It would then be up to the Police to investigate the matter further. If a conviction is made, then I can be happy that justice has been done. One less piece of crap on the streets. If a conviction isn't made, at least I can say I've made an effort. A stance. I tried to have something done about it. I don't accept that a "conviction has to be made" before they can take any action. This I find totally lame. 

Is it because this was done on the Internet? I doubt it. The owner of the Twitter profile can be found, or at least this is a good place to start. Here, I liken Liverpool FC to the man on the street who says he "would have done something if... blah blah blah..."  He could well go to the police, but instead decides to move on because he presumably, has better (less courageous, probably) things to do.

From what I've seen, only Gary Lineker has spoken about the issue, labelling it an "utter disgrace" and any right thinking human being can only agree with him. As for the so-called "Kick racism out of football" effort, is frankly, not far short of a joke. Racism needs to be addressed in society first, and Liverpool are doing sweet FA (excuse the pun) about it. Football is with us because of society, and this incident has happened in the normal walk of life. If we overlook that, then we can forget token campaigns like that.

What's worse, is that having seen the replay about 15 times, it's absolutely crystal clear that Luis Suarez made a meal of Brad Guzan's challenge during the game. Stevie Wonder could have seen that! 99% of the support for Suarez has come from Liverpool fans who are no better than those making the postings on Twitter. If you go to The Mirror's sports page now. It's miraculously disappeared. Replaced by news of something less "controversial" and more "safe". Here's the story for those who may have missed it. The Mirror's breaking news.

I've kept this short. I'll end by saying Liverpool Football Club's and those so-called "fans" behaviour is like the kind of incident any black, Indian or other minority will tell you they've witnessed. A person in your company calls somebody else by a derogatory name, something somebody could, and probably has, called you too. Then, realising what he's said, he turns to you and says: "That's not about you, mate, you're alright...!" Nice to know.

Follow me on Twitter @ Mrbengreen




No comments:

Post a Comment