Saturday 13 July 2013

Preston North End vs Liverpool preview

A welcome return for Martin Kelly?
This afternoon at 3pm will see Brendan Rodgers' emerging Liverpool side take on Preston North End in the pre season curtain raiser an Deepdale. Perhaps fitting that both teams share a past employee as player and manager in one William "Bill" Shankly OBE.

Although this is by no means a competitive match, all Liverpool fans will be looking for three things. Firstly, a good performance all things considered, secondly, how the new recruits manage, and lastly - the nice to have - a win. 

Rodgers has said all of the new additions to the squad will play a part in the game so providing he doesn't mean the "part" of benchwarmers then it'll be an interesting match. It goes without saying that all eyes will be on them and my mince pies will be no exception. Having won every Premiership, Champions League, FA and League Cup since 1998 from the comfort of my sofa and with the help of Football Manager, I think my eye, is particularly keen.  I am interested to see if the manager has brought some real value to the team in terms of ability and, due to their ages, potential. Does "potential" translate into a challenge for a top-four slot? A discussion for another time. 

One position which will be of interest to supporters will be who plays in goal. Simon Mignolet is a keeper of undoubted ability, and Pepe Reina is proven. I think a half each would be fair. In the outfield, I'd like to see young Martin Kelly get a run out after his year-long absence through injury. Albeit not a competitive match I think Kelly will be looking to show the manager what he's missed last season, and put himself ahead of the equally impressive Andre Wisdom. Needless to say, Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto will be under scrutiny following much-lauded moves to Anfield.

In any case, it'll be a good run out for the team, a chance to get some fitness and for the new lads to integrate. Despite this being a "friendly" I'd like to see a Liverpool victory and ideally a good showing from the new boys. No pressure then!

Prediction... I don't do predictions but I'd suggest, 3-0 to Liverpool. 

Follow me on twitter @Mrbengreen




No comments:

Post a Comment