Thursday 11 July 2013

You'll win nothing with kids!

Button it chaps. You need me!
You've probably noticed I've not written much this last week or two. It's not because I've won the Lottery and now couldn't give a toss about Liverpool FC. Not that I can say I've been that busy I haven't had time. I can't even put it down to writer's block. The fact is that there isn't anything interesting to write about. The close season optimism is now as exciting as the proverbial damp squib!

I'm sick to the back teeth of Luis Suarez and its got to the point that I want him to go simply so that I can take a good look at the team Brendan Rodgers has assembled and propose a way forward with what's left. I'm not interested where he goes, just so long as he does. Do us all a favor. Same can be said for Pepe Reina. As much as I like Peps, I'd like to sacrifice him, just for something to write about. 

A quick look at the papers and what do I see? Steve McClaren has joined Harry Redknapp's mighty army at QPR... Big deal.  Manuel Pellegrini thinks Manchester City will win the league... Well he's hardly going to say "It's looking unlikely" is he? And to top it all, Lazio, Genoa and Lecce have been charged with match fixing... No shock there. A good Roma supporting friend of mine told me that months ago so it isn't really news. Apart from the fact that Lecce aren't being used to draw blood from boils anymore - Boom boom!

Side-splitting jokes apart, the one piece of news that has caught my interest is that Stewart Downing could be on his way to West Ham. Personally speaking, I think Rodgers would be making a mistake to sell him and this is for two reasons. Firstly, because along with Jordan Henderson he was one of our better players toward the end of last season. He finished with five assists, which although doesn't seem that many, I'm near on certain that all of those came in the second half of the season when he really picked things up. He even scored three goals which is his best tally for Liverpool so far considering he was out of favor for much of 2012/13. Surely something to build on.

Secondly, and more importantly, Liverpool need his experience. Rodgers has made four signings this close season, and only one, Kolo Toure has proven himself in the Premiership. Yes, Simon Mignolet comes with big expectations but he's not at the peak of his ability just yet. With the exception of Reina - for now anyway - Steven Gerrard and Glenda Johnson, Liverpool don't have many old heads in the squad. Martin Skrtel is 28 but he's not been much use of late. Looking at the "spine" of the team as it's called, there isn't any experience in attack. Between the sticks, defence and midfield yes, but in attack? Not that I can think of. 

Downing has not enjoyed the most convincing of times since moving to Liverpool, but one has to admit that he's been looking like a new player this last few months. Personally, I'd keep him at least until January so the newcomers can be brought in gradually. Arguably for the whole season. My concern is that Liverpool will be relying too much on potential and not enough on established ability going into the next campaign. I repeat, the Champions League is too far an expectation, but Rodgers should at least give himself a chance and be careful he doesn't make a rod for his own back. 

Alas, I fear that Liverpool will be relying on a young team that doesn't have the experience to fulfill the expectations placed upon them and the pressure that comes with it. For this reason, I'd say top five or six is realistic. Some bloke once said "You'll win nothing with kids" and although he ended up with a massive lump of egg on his face, I don't see that particular bolt of lightening striking twice. 

Follow me on Twitter @Mrbengreen


No comments:

Post a Comment